Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sabotage

With the start of the 100 Day challenge, I've been trying to look at my life and figure out what I do to sabotage myself and change my behavior to ensure a successful outcome.

In the past when I have 'been on a diet', I have made certain foods off limits. So what do I start to do, obsess about that particular item. Sometimes I can avoid giving in to the temptation, sometimes I try and find a replacement food and find satisfaction, or I eventually give in and eat the item. When I give in, I immediately feel guilty and feel like a failure! At the end of the day, I always commit to do better tomorrow. Does this vicious cycle sound familiar?? With the start of this program, I started reading the recommended book Intuitive Eating. I have been surprised at how much I am enjoying it. In fact, it is almost like a light bulb has turned on. The authors talk about how we can and should include all foods in our diet. When we don't make foods forbidden and instead listen to what our bodies want, we won't feel deprived and participate in binge eating. I decided to put this to the test and I have been pleased with the result. In the past, I have had to have chocolate every day. Not healthier dark chocolate, not sugar free chocolate, but the full fat yummy stuff. I knew I shouldn't eat it, but the temptation was too great! Well, this time I decided that I wasn't going to make any foods off limits-even chocolate-and see what sounded good to my body. I have been pleasantly surprised at how I have eaten and how I feel about myself. I have eaten very well and I don't feel deprived in any way. Instead I am enjoying wonderful, healthy food. I can honestly say I haven't craved chocolate or sugar!! I know there will be days that I struggle, but I'm not going to make myself feel guilty because nothing is off limits.

Another way I sabotage myself with food has to do with the timing of my meals. Some days I get so busy with my 2- 3 year old toddlers that I don't eat regular meals. Many days I skip lunch because I am so caught up in other things that I don't take the time to make myself lunch. I always think I will grab something when AJ goes down for his nap, but what I usually do is grazing all afternoon until dinner. Then, a few hours after dinner I am hungry so once again I start the snacking. It has been especially bad the past several months as I have been dealing with some intense stress. It has been discouraging to see the extra weight come on. How do I stop this evil habit?? I need to find a way to work structured meals into my day.

I also find myself sabotaging my sleep habits. When we finally get the kids in bed at night, I just want to relax and spend time with my husband. Inevitably every night we stay up way too late. I always have the best of intentions to get up early and exercise, but I am always way too tired. I always rationalize staying up late with any number of excuses. What I really need to do is to make a greater effort to go to bed early and get the rest I need.

I know there are more ways I sabotage myself, but these three are the ones I am going to work on right now. When I get them under better control, then I will move on to the others to continue improving my life and health!!

No comments:

Post a Comment