Sunday, February 14, 2010

Why the 100 Day Challenge??

So, some of you may be wondering why I signed up to do this challenge. It isn't like me to do something so public about something so private...my weight!! It will not be easy sharing my struggles and my weaknesses with people, some who are perfect strangers, but I'm going to jump right in and embrace the process of sharing my journey.

When I saw the ad for the Heart Challenge in the paper I was very intrigued. I have struggled with my weight for many years and have been unsuccessful in getting my body to a healthy weight. I figured I didn't have anything to lose by applying and I never anticipated being chosen. Imagine my surprise when Janet called to give me the GREAT news!! I'm going to give this challenge 100% because I want to change my life.

Here are just a few reasons why I entered the challenge:

1. I love my family! I have the world's greatest husband who is my #1 cheerleader in everything I do. I have two wonderful children who are an incredible blessing in my life. I am blessed with parents, siblings, in-laws and close friends that I want to spend many more fulfilling years with!!

2. My two toddlers are VERY energetic!! I want to be able to keep up with them and enjoy adventures. When we adopted Julia & AJ, we promised their birth mothers we would give them the best life we could. To me that means a mother who can keep up with them and live a long, happy, loving life with them!! I want to be an example of an active, healthy lifestyle!

3. I want to lose weight and see if it will reverse the infertility that has plagued me. I love my two children dearly, but I still feel that I have missed out on what it feels like to be pregnant and some of the amazing experiences of childbirth. I know people will say, "Be glad you don't have the stretch marks" or "Prepare yourself for being uncomfortable for 9 months". I know they mean well, but it is so much more than that!!

4. For those of you who really know me, you know that I LOVE clothes...I mean LOVE clothes!! Well, when you are a plus size girl, your options for attractive clothing are very limited-believe me, I have searched high and low for the most fashionable clothes. I want to be able to walk into any store, or even just Eddie Bauer, and buy whatever I want off the rack! I don't want to have to order it on the Internet or go to a specialty store (aka, the Fat Lady Store). I know, it's vain!!

5. I'm the heaviest I have ever been and I hate it! It makes me feel terrible about myself and I hate feeling this way. I want to look in the mirror and be proud of who I am on the outside and the inside. I try to tell myself that I don't care what people think, but that's a lie. I do care and I don't want people to think poorly of me.

6. Since I have gained so much weight, I have given up some things that I enjoy. I want to go back to one of my favorite places, Cedar Point, and spend days riding roller coasters until my heart's content!! I want to ride a zip line and not worry if I weigh too much. I want to fit comfortably in an airplane seat.

7. I want to find the real me that is hiding in her somewhere!!

I'm sorry if I am being too personal, but this is what I hope to achieve. I ask you-my family, friends, neighbors, acquaintances, even perfect strangers to give me and my fellow contestants your encouragement and support. Without you, success will be impossible!!

5 comments:

  1. Go Brittany!! I am so excited for you on this journey. Your list is very emotional and heartfelt. What you have written is reasonable and attainable. I watch the people on Biggest Loser and it is so inspiring to me - I cannot wait to be inspired by you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Brittany, this is a great goal and I'm so glad you were chosen for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittany, I am so proud of you for being so honest and open about issues that are so hearfelt in your life. You can do this. We can do it together. You come from a family of great cooks and people who enjoy food. That makes it difficult but we are all in this together and will succeed. Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany, I am so excited for this journey you and your mom are taking! I cannot wait to see the transformation.

    Love,

    Your Trainer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany, I love the things you say... I could have written that - the thing about the airplane seat, wanting to buy clothes in a regular store and liking me in them... these are things everyone who is overweight thinks but never says... I am so proud of what you wrote and wish you great success!

    ReplyDelete