Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Comparisons

Today I've been thinking a lot about comparisons and how they are usually to our detriment! With this challenge, I find myself making comparisons and it isn't helping me!! When I go to the gym and see other couples working out, I marvel at how fast they are doing the eliptical, the amount of weights they are lifting, or watching them do lunges across the room. I start to feel inadequate and wonder if I'm not working hard enough or if I just don't have the ability to accomplish what they are doing. I look at others and see they are looking thinner, but yet I can't see it in myself. I look in the mirror and see the same person who started this challenge.

Well, I came to a realization on the bike today...this isn't about comparisons, well it is, but it isn't. The comparisons we make aren't between each other, but within ourselves. The success of this challenge isn't if I can keep up with everyone else, but if I can change and improve myself. I started this challenge at a different level than everyone else, so my progress and my path will be very different. I know the only way to judge my success is by how I am doing and changing. Granted, it is hard to judge-I can't check my cholesterol or body fat percentage every other day to see the changes. I can only go on the amount of weight I've lost, my stamina level, and the way my clothes fit, which aren't always the most concrete ways to judge.

So, I've decided to made an attitude adjustment! I am no longer going to compare myself to others and focus my energy on making myself more heart healthy!!

5 comments:

  1. I Love that you are doing a 100 day challenge and have appreciated your updates! Losing weight is hard because it means making lots of adjustments everyday and then consistantly making those changes part of who we are. I, too, have lost a little weight and while the scale tells me that I am doing well, I am still the exact same person that I was before. I have come to understand that I have to change my perception of myself as much as I have to change the portions I consume.

    People have been telling me lately that I am drowning in my clothes, but I have NEVER worn the size smaller than the one I am wearing. Not even in High School. I don't know why I cannot "see" myself in that size b/c I really want to be that size, but there is a perception issue there. I am finding that I am my toughest critic and I need to allow myself to redefine who I am. I never would have thought that this would be harder than actually losing the weight.

    Keep up the great work!!! You are doing a great thing for you, your family, your heart, etc.

    Lots of love, abbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these ah ha moments in life. Comparisons can be good for us or not good. Glad you are looking at only yourself today. :) Keep THAT up.
    You are doing a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I go to the gym and see others in our group, I am so happy we are all being given the chance to help our hearts. I love seeing good friends there and know we're all in this together, not competing separately. We are all winning at this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany, you are one of the most inspiring people I know. Every time I see you in the gym, you make me want to work harder and do better because you work hard. So thank you for being such a positive example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany...
    Keep up the great work & know that you are doing GREAT!! I CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN YOU!!
    So find a sweatband & keep your chin up!!!
    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete